All things Racist...USA edition (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    I was looking for a place to put this so we could discuss but didn't really find a place that worked so I created this thread so we can all place articles, experiences, videos and examples of racism in the USA.

This is one that happened this week. The lady even called and filed a complaint on the officer. This officer also chose to wear the body cam (apparently, LA doesn't require this yet). This exchange wasn't necessarily racist IMO until she started with the "mexican racist...you will never be white, like you want" garbage. That is when it turned racist IMO

All the murderer and other insults, I think are just a by product of CRT and ACAB rhetoric that is very common on the radical left and sadly is being brought to mainstream in this country.

Another point that I think is worth mentioning is she is a teacher and the sense of entitlement she feels is mind blowing.

https://news.yahoo.com/black-teacher-berates-latino-la-221235341.html

When Gayle Turner testified before Virginia lawmakers, she knew they had previously failed to pass a resolution that offered an apology for the unethical use of Black bodies by medical institutions. This year, when the resolution appeared in front of lawmakers again, she hoped to compel them to act.

She told them her family appreciated the effort to “recognize, realize and apologize for past wrongs to assure they never happen again.”

She told them Virginia had an opportunity to “lead the nation in truth telling and addressing racial inequalities in health care.”

She told them that the man who inspired the resolution, her cousin Bruce Tucker, was a responsible father, a loyal employee, a good citizen — and a victim.

“Bruce Tucker was the victim of a racist system that devalued his life and did not acknowledge him as humankind and therefore did not treat him that way,” Turner testified. “It was the total disregard of Bruce as a human being that benefited science, mankind and made immeasurable profits for the Medical College of Virginia.”

Fifty-six years ago, Bruce Tucker’s heart helped Virginia make history. After the 54-year-old was taken to a hospital with a head injury, a medical team removed his heart and used it in the first transplant of that kind in the South. Afterward, the surgeons who performed the procedure were celebrated and immortalized. Their names appeared outside that hospital building on a plaque under the words “Birthplace of cardiac transplantation.”

But in recent years, a fuller story of how that transplant came to take place has emerged, and it shows this: surgeons taking a Black laborer’s heart without his family’s consent and placing it in a White businessman. That fuller story — which I shared with you in an earlier column — was of his family learning from a mortician, not doctors, that he was missing his heart and kidneys.

Relatives still have questions about what happened in the hospital between the time Tucker arrived able to talk and when the surgery took place less than a day later. The family lost a lawsuit in 1972 in which attorneys argued over whether Tucker should have been declared dead. A medical examiner performed a test that found he had no brain activity, but the legal definition of brain death did not yet exist.

What happened to Tucker is both shocking and not surprising when we reflect on the many ways Black, Brown and Indigenous bodies have been historically experimented on in the name of scientific and medical advancements. There are plenty of egregious examples.

Consider the Tuskegee experiment, in which the government spent decades studying how syphilis ravaged the bodies of Black men without their informed consent and withheld treatment even after one became widely available. Consider also Henrietta Lacks’s “immortal” cells, which were taken from the Baltimore mother of five when she was diagnosed with cervical cancer. Her extraordinary cells led to significant scientific discoveries and brought in profits for companies — all while her descendants were left unknowing and uncompensated.

Tucker’s experience is part of that side of history, the one that is hard to own. That’s what makes what Virginia lawmakers did recently worth noting. They owned it. The state Senate and House unanimously passed the resolution, which acknowledges “with profound regret the unethical use of Black bodies by medical institutions in the Commonwealth.”............

One of France’s biggest music stars, Aya Nakamura, has hit back at far-right groups angry at a suggestion she may sing in front of 300,000 people during the Paris Olympics opening ceremony, telling them: “You can be racist but not deaf.”

According to reports in local media, the French-Malian singer had discussed the possibility of performing a song by 20th-century icon Édith Piaf when she met the French president, Emmanuel Macron, last month.

The reports have not been confirmed, but that did not stop them drawing fury from far-right groups. At a campaign rally on Sunday for the Reconquête party, led by far-right former presidential candidate Éric Zemmour, Nakamura’s name drew boos from the crowd.

The 28-year-old singer has become a pop superstar around the world for hits like Djadja, which has close to a billion streams on YouTube alone.

A small extremist group calling themselves the Natives hung a banner by the River Seine that read: “There’s no way Aya, this is Paris, not the Bamako market.”……

More hair drama
    =============
    A Black student at a Mormon university in Hawaiisaid he has been told by staff to cut his shoulder-length hair because it does not adhere to school policies, he said.

Kanaan VyShonne Barton, a student at Brigham Young University-Hawaii, told the Salt Lake Tribune he has been engaged in a battle with the school since September over the length of his hair, which he has refused to cut.

The university requires students to follow an “honor code”, which states hair should be “neatly trimmed”, although the code has no official guidance on length.

“Regardless of the length of my hair, I am spiritually involved. I am actively going to church,” Barton told the Tribune.

“I am doing well in school work. I am doing everything else. But my locs mean something to me. They are culture. They are family.”

He added: “I shouldn’t have to cut my hair to get an education here.”

BYU–Hawaii is a satellite campus of the Utah-based Brigham Young University, and is owned and operated by the Church of Latter Day Saints. Students are required to avoid sex “outside marriage between a man and a woman” and “same-sex romantic behavior” is prohibited. Alcohol and caffeinated beverages are also not allowed to be consumed, while students must follow rules regarding “dress and grooming”.

“Hair should be clean, neat, modest, and avoid extremes in styles and colors,” the BYU rules state.

“Men’s hair should be neatly trimmed. Men should be clean shaven. If worn, mustaches should be neatly trimmed.”

Barton said Jonathan Kalaonalani Kau, the vice-president for student life, told him in a meeting in November that he should cut his locs because they are “a distraction” and that Barton was “trying to push his own agenda and be defiant”…….

"Democrats are hemorrhaging the very voters they think they are pandering to"

When Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi put on Kente cloth, I don’t think it earned them one vote.”

• “From 2010 to 2020, the number of people identifying as multiracial in America went up 276%.”

• “Morgan Freeman says [that] the way to finish off racism is to stop talking about it.”

• “The Financial Times writes Democrats are going backwards faster with voters of color than any other demographic.”

• “Americans don’t fit into neat little boxes anymore.”

• “The real issue is class, not race.”

Ways to stop racism

A. Have racists stop saying and doing racist things. Call them out when they say and do racist things. If the racist things they say and do are severe enough have them face severe consequences

B. Just stop talking about it and it’ll go away on its own

We've had this debate several times in various threads with Paul

Last edited:

That’s one possibility

Another is it’s simply being reported more, people are tolerating it less and speaking out about it and recognizing it more

This graph would look similar about covering abuses and harassment by police

This graph would look similar about covering LGTBQ issues

This graph would look similar about covering sexual harassment and assault pre and post me too & times up

That’s one possibility

Another is it’s simply being reported more, people are tolerating it less and speaking out about it and recognizing it more

This graph would look similar about covering abuses and harassment by police

This graph would look similar about covering LGTBQ issues

This graph would look similar about covering sexual harassment and assault pre and post me too & times up
    Why do you think there was a dramatic increase in mentions the last few years about racism?

Do you think instances of racism dramatically increased around the time the media started mentioning it more?

Do you think there is more racism now than there was from 1970 to around 2012?

Why do you think there was a dramatic increase in mentions the last few years about racism?

Do you think instances of racism dramatically increased around the time the media started mentioning it more?

we saw racism increase when trump took office and showed the world a racist idiot can be president. Hell he employed and supported racist candidates too. so you're blaming media and not the racist president for it huh? well I guess if they never reported on al the racism it would seem it was not happening.

So you have the cart before the horse, just to fit your narrative. Racist incidents increased with the rise of Trump. Media reported on the increase. It’s very telling that you would rather believe in some sort of shadowy conspiracy involving media all over the world than the simple explanation that is correct.

Because there was a dramatic increase in the amount of racially motivated acts of discrimination, vandalism and violence in the past few years.

There has also been a dramatic increase in the denial of racism existing in the past few years.

Those two things combined are why there has been a dramatic increase in coverage and discussions about racism in the past few years.

Yes as I said above.

There was an uptick in racially motivated acts of discrimination, vandalism and violence starting around 2012. Then there was a bigger surge starting around 2016. Then another surge starting around 2020.

Vinícius Júnior, the Real Madrid and Brazil winger, broke down in tears when asked about the repeated and systematic barrage of racist abuse he has received while playing in La Liga.

Speaking ahead of his national team’s Tuesday night friendly match with Spain, the country where he has played since 2018, Vinícius said: “I just want to play football but it’s hard to move forward … I feel less and less like playing. It never crossed my mind [to leave Spain] because if I leave Spain I give the racists exactly what they want.”

Vinícius has been on the receiving end of 10 episodes of racist abuse that have been reported to prosecutors by La Liga, and spoke haltingly at a press conference held in Madrid, needing to recompose himself on a number of occasions.

“I will stay because that way the racists can continue to see my face more and more. I’m a bold player, I play for Real Madrid and we win a lot of titles and that doesn’t sit well with a lot of people.” Brazil face Spain in a friendly at Madrid’s Santiago Bernabéu as part of an anti-racism campaign under the slogan “One Skin”.……

Utah women’s basketball coach Lynne Roberts said her team experienced a series of “racial hate crimes” and were forced to change hotels due to safety concerns during the NCAA Tournament.

Utah played their games in Spokane, but were staying about 30 miles away in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho due to a lack of hotel space in the host city.

Roberts didn’t go into detail but said there were several incidents that happened last Thursday night after the team arrived in the Coeur d’Alene area for the tournament. However, Utah deputy athletics director Charmelle Green, who is Black, spoke to Utah broadcaster KSL on Tuesday and gave more details.

Green said the team, cheerleaders and members of the school band were walking to dinner when a truck approached the group, revved its engines before someone in the vehicle shouted the n-word.

“We all just were in shock, and we looked at each other like, did we just hear that? ... Everybody was in shock – our cheerleaders, our students that were in that area that heard it clearly were just frozen,” Green told KSL.com. “We kept walking, just shaking our heads, like I can’t believe that … I was just numb the entire night.”

When the group came back from dinner, something similar happened, this time with two trucks revving their engines. The n-word was directed at the group again.

“I will never forget the sound that I heard, the intimidation of the noise that came from that engine, and the [n-word],” Green said. “I go to bed and I hear it every night since I’ve been here ... I couldn’t imagine us having to stay there and relive those moments.”

Far-right extremists have made a presence in the region. In 2018, at least nine hate groups operated in the region of Spokane and northern Idaho, including Identity Evropa, Proud Boys, ACT for America and America’s Promise Ministries, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.…..

A for-profit college accused of targeting women and Black students with false advertising about how long it would take to complete a degree, then extracting millions of dollars in extra tuition payments, agreed to a $28.5 million settlement announced Thursday.

The class-action lawsuit alleged that Walden University generated millions of dollars in excess tuition and fees by prolonging projects required for Doctorate in Business Administration degrees.

“Students alleged that Walden masked deception as diversity by targeting their DBA degrees at Black and female students who were hoping to advance their careers,” said Aaron Ament, president of the National Student Legal Defense Network, which filed the lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Maryland with civil rights law firm Relman Colfax............

The National Student Legal Defense Network argued the school's tactics amounted to “reverse redlining,” a reference to housing discrimination practices that disproportionately target minorities, by its focus on attracting women and Black students into the program.

For example, Walden disproportionately targeted its advertising towards predominantly Black cities, according to the lawsuit. Forty-one percent of students in the university's doctoral programs were Black, seven times the national average, according to the student defense network...............

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom