What would RUSA and DUSA look like? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

CajuninVA

Reaction score
    Optimus Prime's post about Civil War 2 really feels a little too plausible for me to want to think about it. But knowing your destination is important in informing you in if you feel a journey is worth it or not. So, in that vein, I'm asking what do people feel like a Republican USA (RUSA) and Democratic USA (DUSA) would look like if they formed? Is that the wrong form of the question and should it be Conservative USA and Progressive USA? I don't want to get caught up on who gets what geographically. I'm asking about what kind of government would there be? Any guaranteed rights? What role does religion play? Who is and isn't welcome? What kind of economy? How are people educated? How likely is that government to succeed?

And if I think too hard about this, I feel like the above option is much better than what is likely to happen. I fear an attempt to have a population minority government rule the majority. And pretty soon the people who "hate" government overreach are using that exact thing to push their agenda/beliefs on others.

I don't necessarily have an answer to offer on my own question. I feel like the initial thoughts I put down are a bit stereotypical. But then again, I feel like at least for RUSA, stereotypes work because they don't necessarily generate the types of folks that challenge the norms. DUSA on the other hand seems like it could start out Utopian in intent but would have to track back to pragmatism and realism at some point.

It’s all moot anyway because there are no homogenous states. Democrats and Republicans exist in all states and the split isn’t as wide as the state legislatures and House races look due to gerrymandering. Even in my “deep red” state with a R supermajority in the statehouse, it’s actually about 57-43 split.

They probably will push forward with higher taxation, and regulations, but neither of those things now cause a drop in GDP, or job loss. AFAIK, the vast majority of jobs outsourced now are because of labor cost.
    I would tend to think that employees in DUSA would earn higher wages - more likely to have unions and also a government mandated minimum/living wage. But they also could probably get by with lower wages because health insurance would be government based instead of employer based.

What would immigration look like in DUSA? When would those people qualify for the social safety net?

I would say it’s not going to be as good as either side expect it to be.

There wouldn't be a peaceful existence of a RUSA and a DUSA. It'll be more a political genocide of DUSA if it ever came to...they (Rs) have all the guns.

That's why I have a pair of tight Wrangler Jeans and a Cowboy hat in my closet....just in case. I suggest you all do the same of you want to make it out of a "Red area"

There wouldn't be a peaceful existence of a RUSA and a DUSA. It'll be more a political genocide of DUSA if it ever came to...they (Rs) have all the guns.

That's why I have a pair of tight Wrangler Jeans and a Cowboy hat in my closet....just in case. I suggest you all do the same of you want to make it out of a "Red area."

Other than six years in Berkeley where I am proud to announce my Congresswoman was Barbra Lee, I've always had to make it out in a "Red area."

My county in this part of California is represented by that ornery not good hos Tom Mcclintock. Mr. if a tree is standing, "a lumber company ought to be able to cut down."

More so than having a Hat if necessary, (usually not), Jeans are what I wear all the time.

To boot I learned long-a-go to swing dance, and to like doing it. I learned to like county western music as well. Hat's and boots are needed for swing dancing, and frankly I enjoy wearing the costume when I'm doing it.

Little things go a long way.

Speaking from my personal experience a DUSA state would probably not bleed businesses at all

Yes - Denmark lost a lot of manufactures in the 80s but most are back again. The key word is to work smart not hard. With a high level of education in the general population it also allows for some very advanced production methods - in industy, farming and technology. The productivity has never been higher

The general level of education is high and there are systems in place to ensure that workers who may not have the necessary qualifications, can attend school for up to 2 years to gain new qualification for free and while recieving their normal wages while doing so. Example - they closed a few shipyards due to not being able to compete with Asia and eastern Europe but all those workers were retrained - mostly now working on oceanic windmills which is a booming industry. Being on the forefront of technology and making sure that we have the people with the right qualifications ensures a very low unemployment rate and a generally high salary level since the profit of the end products are far higher too.

One economic downside for DUSA I think is that industry would mostly relocate out of DUSA for the lower regulations and taxes. DUSA would need to do a lot of importing.

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on what type of trade agreement, if any, would be created. DUSA could protect itself from that somewhat with some protectionist regulations. Similar to how of the Inflation Reduction Act and CHIPS Act require a lot of the production to take place in the US for it to qualify for rebates/government investment.

I think DUSA would definitely have less gun violence and school shootings.

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on what type of trade agreement, if any, would be created. DUSA could protect itself from that somewhat with some protectionist regulations. Similar to how of the Inflation Reduction Act and CHIPS Act require a lot of the production to take place in the US for it to qualify for rebates/government investment.

I think DUSA would definitely have less gun violence and school shootings.

DUSA would have to buy oil from RUSA. RUSA would have to buy a lot of services, and food from DUSA.

I don't know how you talk to Texas, and Florida into subsidizing the same group of poor red states. Realistically, DUSA would try to snipe LA, and TX because of energy needs, probably both because of New Orleans.

Now, that I think about FL would be kind of screwed. You assume debt would transfer to RUSA based on citizenship, and residence. Florida is full of SSN retires who demand to still get their checks.

This is even more stupid than the other stuff she says. There really isn’t a divide by state lines. My state is decidedly R, yet we have a reliable 40% or so who will vote for a D candidate. The mayor in the town closest to me is D and we had a D senator up until 2016. All of my childhood we tended to have 1 D and 1 R senator.

States are full of people who identify as Americans before they identify with a political party. Hardcore Rs are actually about 15-20% of the voting population, if we are generous.

DUSA would have to buy oil from RUSA. RUSA would have to buy a lot of services, and food from DUSA.

I don't know how you talk to Texas, and Florida into subsidizing the same group of poor red states. Realistically, DUSA would try to snipe LA, and TX because of energy needs, probably both because of New Orleans.

Now, that I think about FL would be kind of screwed. You assume debt would transfer to RUSA based on citizenship, and residence. Florida is full of SSN retires who demand to still get their checks.
    Not necessarily - DUSA could go green. Despite being a northern country 59% of our electricity in 2022 came from either solar or wind power.

This, this this. Don’t let MAGA set the conversation, don’t entertain their idiocies:

Not necessarily - DUSA could go green. Despite being a northern country 59% of our electricity in 2022 came from either solar or wind power.

This is true, but for a long while you would need a transition.

These threads are always fun thought experiments.

Even in red states, there are millions of people who are liberal. Same for blue states, there are millions of conservatives.

It wouldn't be a war between states, it would be a war within states.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom