The Coffee Thread (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Huntn

Misty Mountains Envoy
    Reaction score
    I recently got a new coffee brewer, a Mr Coffee, which does a fine job of brewing coffee at an economical price and made a discovery. If I use a metal mesh basket to hold the grounds instead of a paper filter, it improves the flavor tremendously. How many knew about this, but kept it to yourselves? How many of you disagree with this assessment? ;) I read that the mesh basket allows the coffee bean oils to come though.

I recently got a new coffee brewer, a Mr Coffee, which does a fine job of brewing coffee at an economical price and made a discovery. If I use a metal mesh basket to hold the grounds instead of a paper filter, it improves the flavor tremendously. How many knew about this, but kept it to yourselves? How many of you disagree with this assessment? ;) I read that the mesh basket allows the coffee bean oils to come though.
    My experience is anecdotal as my wife drinks coffee. She grinds her own beans, heats water actually in the microwave and uses #4 bamboo paper filters. She says that the coffee doesn’t taste any better or worse. She also said she try an experiment tomorrow to see if her opinion changes. Could your results have something to do with the water quality or water temperature?

My experience is anecdotal as my wife drinks coffee. She grinds her own beans, heats water actually in the microwave and uses #4 bamboo paper filters. She says that the coffee doesn’t taste any better or worse. She also said she try an experiment tomorrow to see if her opinion changes. Could your results have something to do with the water quality or water temperature?
    I run my water though a Pur water filter before hand, and I was using paper filters for the coffee until just recently. The change was when I went from the paper filter to the mesh basket, but then added a small paper/charcoal disk on top that the hit water flows though designed to “ remove chlorine”, and yes it‘s possible that one or both of these items had an accumulative effect. :unsure: MaybeI’ll try leaving off the charcoal filter and see what happens…

The improved flavor that you are experiencing is probably not due to your mesh basket. I think it comes from the high temperature of the water that the machine forces through the ground coffee.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom