Next Speaker of the House? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    There’s a lot of doubt that Kevin McCarthy will be able to get enough votes to become Speaker. It certainly won’t happen on the first ballot. Already Boboert and MTG are publicly at odds over it.

Maybe this is worth it’s own thread to watch. One person mentioned is Scalise.

Good. The R party is no doubt a mess, but sometimes putting the country first is more important than partisan politics.

It appears that the Democrats have figured out how to work with Johnson - and that Johnson has committed to actually getting something done rather than shutting everything down like the MAGAs want. This doesn't mean he's changed any of his viewpoint, but that he's at least pragmatic enough to know that their status quo was literally the worst session in decades in terms of action and something had to change.

He's calculated what he needed to do to get the Democrats to at least agree to support him against an ouster vote - and that keeps him secure so that he can work on building his own support from the GOP members that actually want to get stuff done. It's not a small number.

It appears that the Democrats have figured out how to work with Johnson - and that Johnson has committed to actually getting something done rather than shutting everything down like the MAGAs want. This doesn't mean he's changed any of his viewpoint, but that he's at least pragmatic enough to know that their status quo was literally the worst session in decades in terms of action and something had to change.

He's calculated what he needed to do to get the Democrats to at least agree to support him against an ouster vote - and that keeps him secure so that he can work on building his own support from the GOP members that actually want to get stuff done. It's not a small number.

I'm not convinced it's all that. I just think Democrats are being smart here. It makes no sense to placate and assist MTG in any way when there is such a small amount of time before the election and they've pretty much gotten everything done business wise that they will need to do before the election.

While it's fun to throw Republicans into chaos and let them eat their own, there is no real upside here. Ousting McCarthy showed voters that Republicans are a mess and untrustworthy of governing. Playing along with another Speaker ousters and allowing more chaos in the House isn't really going to add to that perception/reality.

I'm not convinced it's all that. I just think Democrats are being smart here. It makes no sense to placate and assist MTG in any way when there is such a small amount of time before the election and they've pretty much gotten everything done business wise that they will need to do before the election.

While it's fun to throw Republicans into chaos and let them eat their own, there is no real upside here. Ousting McCarthy showed voters that Republicans are a mess and untrustworthy of governing. Playing along with another Speaker ousters and allowing more chaos in the House isn't really going to add to that perception/reality.

That's fair - but I think coming just a few session days after the Ukraine aid vote, it's reasonable to suspect that some dealmaking may have been done, if nothing more than basic commitments to actually attempt to move to vote key legislation rather than pure futile stagnation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom