Euthanasia; Yeah or Nay? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    This is becoming a talking point or will be soon. I personally have no issue with medical assisted suicide in a hospice care environment. There is a push, and this is in Canada, to include the mentally ill, disabled, and even the homeless. That I cannot get behind. What does everyone else think about it?

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/con...-of-abuse-is-becoming-ever-more-apparent.html

How does the unthinkable become not only thinkable, but seemingly inevitable? How do we normalize things we recently considered not just abnormal, but horrifying?

The question arises because a major Canadian medical organization is pushing the idea of allowing doctors to do something that’s long been considered unthinkable and abnormal: killing infants who are born with conditions that make survival impossible.

The Quebec College of Physicians made the case for this before a parliamentary committee studying changes to Canada’s law on medical assistance in dying (MAID), a.k.a. assisted suicide.

To be clear, the college’s proposal involves only newborns with severe malformations whose chance for life is “basically nil.” It wouldn’t be a license to kill babies. But let’s also be clear about this: authorizing doctors to actively euthanize infants — rather than allowing nature to take its course — does cross a line once thought inviolable.

The college suggests blurring things in other ways, too. It supports extending MAID to “mature minors,” i.e. teenagers aged 14 to 17, and wants us to think about allowing euthanasia for old people who are just “tired of living.”

Now, Canada’s laws on MAID have long been stretched far beyond the original (and praiseworthy) concept of sparing terminally ill people from unnecessary agony at the end of their lives, allowing a so-called “death with dignity.” When the law was passed in 2016 it didn’t specify that a person must be terminally ill to qualify for a medically assisted death, and last year it was amended to remove the requirement that death be “reasonably foreseeable.”

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/famil...ssion-wasn-t-fit-for-assisted-death-1.4609016

A British Columbia man who struggled with depression and showed no signs of facing an imminent demise was given a medically-assisted death despite desperate pleas from his loved ones, family members say.

Alan Nichols was admitted to Chilliwack General Hospital in June, at age 61, after he was found dehydrated and malnourished. One month later, he died by injection.

Days before his death, family members begged Nichols, a former school janitor who lived alone and struggled with depression, not to go through with the procedure. They still don’t know why doctors approved the life-ending procedure and insist that Nichols did not fit the government criteria of facing an “imminent death.”

https://www.foxnews.com/media/canad...law-include-mentally-ill-enable-mature-minors

i don't believe there are any morally driven anti abortion believers, so i guess here we are..
    You don't think the view of deliberately killing a human life is morally driven? Then yeah, man, here we are....

Yes. I happily share things when it's reasonable to think the person I am speaking with will be open to it. I don't waste my time on others.
    Got it, you can't. That is all you had to say instead of grandstanding.

Willful ignorance. You could easily find them with one search. We don’t want to waste our own time because you wouldn’t believe anything we come up with.

Willful ignorance. You could easily find them with one search. We don’t want to waste our own time because you wouldn’t believe anything we come up with.
    Sure. Let say there is a procedure that requires the mother first undergo an abortion in order for the next procedure to happen ( for the sake of debate). How often do you think that happens? Do you think it is rare?

You don't think the view of deliberately killing a human life is morally driven? Then yeah, man, here we are....
    i do not. i think it is opinion and poitically driven. if they were morally driven, none of them would be against any kind of aid to social programs to help children who were born. the majority of the anti-abortion crowd is also the anti "welfare" crowd.
    So, are you saying NO doctors are morally driven? you make it sound as if the medical society is only chaied by abortion doctors.

Sure. Let say there is a procedure that requires the mother first undergo an abortion in order for the next procedure to happen ( for the sake of debate). How often do you think that happens? Do you think it is rare?
    What difference does that make? I have read in the past of women who were pregnant and had a cancer diagnosis - that isn’t all that uncommon because one of the issues of pregnancy is that the woman’s immune system has to be somewhat suppressed so that she doesn’t reject the fetus, which is perceived as foreign tissue. But that also leaves the door open for cancer sometimes.

If the cancer is particularly aggressive there are times when doctors will recommend the woman not wait until after birth to begin treatment. Many, if not most, cancer treatments will be teratogenic, meaning they will cause birth defects and or other serious issues with the fetus. Then the woman will have to make a decision. She can terminate the pregnancy and begin treatment or she can wait.

It’s a horrible situation, an agonizing decision. One where doctors only give opinions, and leave it up to the woman and her family. We don’t need politicians in the middle of it.

It is actually pretty awful that complete strangers want to get in the middle of these situations.

I rarely laugh out loud at what someone posts, but this one had me laughing from my belly.

Who in the hell do you think you're fooling?

Do you think anyone only reads what you write?

No one is falling for your bad faith nonsense, except for maybe that one choir boy.

The irony of the jackass who tells us to go look up his comments like they are the dead sea scrolls, and he won't even use google.

Begone Troll! You have no powers here.

So, since this thread is about euthanasia and to prevent further derailing it into abortion, does Farb support durable powers of attorney and living wills?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom